Why You Should Get Your Chimney Swept Before Winter
Pittsburgh is a mixture of unique neighborhoods, mixed with older and newer homes, many of which already come with a fireplace. In fact, a report from the Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA) cites that almost half of American homes have a chimney installed. With the weather just beginning in Pittsburgh, many families are taking advantage of a fire to keep warm. However, a fireplace that is being used, even if only infrequently, must be cleaned in order to operate safely. Here are just a few reasons why it is important to have your chimney swept, before the cold kicks in:
- Catch any problems before they escalate – Unless you are inspecting your chimney daily, problems could develop over the summer without you even knowing it. Having a professional clean your chimney will allow them to inspect it and notice any issues that may need addressed.
- Prevent a fire from starting in the chimney – Over 25,000 chimney fires are reported each year in the United States, with a staggering 125 million in property damage. There are a number of reasons that can cause a chimney fire, from creosote buildup to structural deficiencies. Having your chimney cleaned is the best way to prevent a chimney fire.
- Remove chimney odors – If there is an odor coming from your chimney, it is possible that there is water leakage, particularly from melting snow, that mixes with ash, causing an odor.
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning – Having your chimney swept regularly will allow a professional to ensure that there is no dangerous carbon monoxide buildup in your home.
- Helps against smoke damage – Built up smoke damage is harder to remove. If your fire is correctly burning, there will be a minimum of smoke residue, which means less buildup.
- Ensures that there are no pests – Birds, squirrels, and even raccoons love to hide out in chimneys. A chimney cleaning will ensure that none have taken up residence in yours.
Ed’s Woodshed can ensure that your chimney is ready for winter and your fires are burning safely. From Chimney Inspection to Chimney Repair, the experts at Ed’s Woodshed can provide you with the quality services you need, so that you know your chimney is safe all year round!
We Service What We Sell